Re: \dt doesn't show all relations in user's schemas (8.4.2) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: \dt doesn't show all relations in user's schemas (8.4.2)
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> writes:
> On Monday 21 December 2009 3:42:10 pm Tom Lane wrote:
>> Seems clear enough to me.

> Well yes and no. The first couple of times I read this I was tripped
> up by layout: "the pattern *. To see all objects in the database, use
> the pattern *.*."  I took it to mean pattern '*.' until I realized it
> was '*' period. Taught me to slow down when reading.

Hmm.  We're sort of relying on font differences there, but period tends
to look about the same in many fonts.  Maybe it would help to rephrase
these sentences to keep the example patterns away from punctuation.
For instance

    ... this is equivalent to using * as the pattern.
    To see all objects in the database, the pattern *.*
    can be used.

Grammatically this is less nice (passive voice :-() but keeping the
patterns away from the periods might be worth it.

            regards, tom lane