Re: \dt doesn't show all relations in user's schemas (8.4.2) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: \dt doesn't show all relations in user's schemas (8.4.2)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 21 December 2009 3:42:10 pm Tom Lane wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> > So, either the docs for \dt need fixing to reflect reality, or they're
> > right and psql \dt needs fixing.
>
> The documentation says
>
>    Whenever the pattern parameter
>    is omitted completely, the \d commands display all objects
>    that are visible in the current schema search path -- this is
>    equivalent to using the pattern *.
>    To see all objects in the database, use the pattern *.*.
>
> Seems clear enough to me.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Well yes and no. The first couple of times I read this I was tripped up by
layout:
"the pattern *. To see all objects in the database, use the pattern *.*."  I
took it to mean pattern '*.' until I realized it was '*' period. Taught me to
slow down when reading.

The other issue is what defines 'visible'. Previous investigations led me to:
"When there are objects of identical names in different schemas, the one found
first in the search path is used"
This is not obvious from the \d command explanation.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net