Re: [SQL] Updating non atomic values - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] Updating non atomic values
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Kruger <bkruger@mindspring.com> writes:
> Is there a way to update non atomic values in Postgres?
> Example:
> update t3 set t3.fld[1] = 0 where t3.fld[1] = 5 ;
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "="

Bob, the correct syntax is
    update t3 set fld[1] = 0 where t3.fld[1] = 5 ;

UPDATE doesn't allow explicit specification of the table containing
a field to be updated; you have to write just the field name before the
"=".  The parser's error message about that could stand improvement...

There are a whole bunch of bugs associated with arrays :-(, but this
behavior isn't one of them.  I hope to get some time to clean up the
array code for 6.6 or 6.7.

            regards, tom lane