Re: [HACKERS] Can't start postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Can't start postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> [...]

You're out of semaphores, not disk space.  Evidently your kernel is only
configured to allow a few dozen semaphores --- you'd be wise to increase
that parameter, especially if you want to be able to run more than one
postmaster at once.  (See the current FAQ, item 2.13.)

> The thing is that the old one still works so there must be something
> that's changed in the current one.

Well, yes, things change... the system is now designed to grab all the
semaphores it wants at postmaster startup, rather than risking not being
able to grab them later.