Re: [HACKERS] Can't start postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Can't start postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thus spake Vince Vielhaber
> On 23-Apr-99 "D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain wrote:
> > When I try to start the postmaster from the current sources, I get the
> > following error.
> >
> > IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device) key=5432015, num=16,
> > permission=600
>
> Hopefully this won't bounce 'cuze of your quotes that my mailer for some
> reason doesn't like..  but anyway...

That's what happens when you have punctuation in your name I suppose.  :-)

> I had something like this earlier today.  Assuming your system has something
> like ipcs, what does it say?  (if you don't have that command, try apropos
> on ipc to find out what the status command is)  I had a bunch of old items
> hanging on to pieces of shared memory causing my problem.

Here's the output.

Message Queues:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP

Shared Memory:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP
m 786432    5432010 --rwa------ postgres postgres
m 720897    5432001 --rw------- postgres postgres
m 327682    5432007 --rw------- postgres postgres
m  65539     296499 --rw-rw-rw-     root    wheel

Semaphores:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP
s  65536 1426359859 --rw-rw-rw-     root    wheel

I assume the postgres ones will go away when I stop the old postmaster.
The thing is that the old one still works so there must be something
that's changed in the current one.