RE: [HACKERS] Can't start postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject RE: [HACKERS] Can't start postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23-Apr-99 "D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain wrote:
> When I try to start the postmaster from the current sources, I get the
> following error.
>
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget failed (No space left on device) key=5432015, num=16,
> permission=600
>
> My command is as follows.
>
> /usr/local/postgres/bin/postmaster -S -D /usr/local/postgres/data
>
> The same command works with PostgreSQL 6.5.0 build from sources in
> Feb.  I did a full distclean, reconfigure, build and initdb.  There
> is plenty of space on the system so I assume that the above error is
> bogus but I can't imagine what has changed to make this fail.  Any ideas?

Hopefully this won't bounce 'cuze of your quotes that my mailer for some
reason doesn't like..  but anyway...

I had something like this earlier today.  Assuming your system has something
like ipcs, what does it say?  (if you don't have that command, try apropos
on ipc to find out what the status command is)  I had a bunch of old items
hanging on to pieces of shared memory causing my problem.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com