Re: Trouble compiling postgresql in hp-unix - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Trouble compiling postgresql in hp-unix
Date
List pgsql-general
j_v_dsilva@www.com (joseph v d'silva) writes:
> You were right, I had tried to install gcc in my machine but due to
> some problems  (the libc.2) it had failed. I hadn't removed the
> executables from the path and it was picking up these executables,
> when I removed it, the default HP ones were picked up and it went
> fine. However in one of my machines I got an error

> cannot determine argument types for accept when I rane configure.

We have seen that reported from installations where a gcc built for one
version of HPUX is being used on a different version (eg, gcc for 11.00
used on 11.11).  The problem is that gcc has its own copies of some
system header files, and these are wrong for the system it's being used
in.  Try "gcc -v" and note the version number embedded in the specs
path:

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hppa2.0-hp-hpux10.20/2.95.3/specs
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

If it doesn't match your actual OS version, reinstalling gcc from source
would be a good plan.

            regards, tom lane