Re: View definition formatting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: View definition formatting
Date
Re: View definition formatting  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Perhaps as a workaround you could invent a standard indentation format and
> format the rules automatically that way, so that users will be able to
> find everything in the same place automatically after the second edit
> cycle.

Perhaps we could make pg_get_ruledef and friends try to prettyprint
their output a little better, instead of duplicating such logic in
various clients (which couldn't do nearly as well at it anyway without
re-parsing the string :-().

Does anyone have code that depends on these functions returning
single-line output?  (I suppose the pg_rules and pg_views views might
get a bit ugly, but perhaps psql could be taught to format data with
embedded newlines better than it does now...)