Re: View definition formatting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: View definition formatting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 14:18, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Perhaps as a workaround you could invent a standard indentation format and
> > format the rules automatically that way, so that users will be able to
> > find everything in the same place automatically after the second edit
> > cycle.
>
> Perhaps we could make pg_get_ruledef and friends try to prettyprint
> their output a little better, instead of duplicating such logic in
> various clients (which couldn't do nearly as well at it anyway without
> re-parsing the string :-().
>
> Does anyone have code that depends on these functions returning
> single-line output?  (I suppose the pg_rules and pg_views views might
> get a bit ugly, but perhaps psql could be taught to format data with
> embedded newlines better than it does now...)

Could we turn the prettyprint incantation into a user callable function?
We could easily add that to the phpPgAdmin code to call that function
when pulling information from pg_views.definition and it's ilk, this
giving a nicely formatted output without having to modify the way it is
currently stored.

Robert Treat