Re: BUG #15308: pg_dump: server version: 10.1.5; pg_dump version: 9.6.6 pg_dump: aborting because of server version - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #15308: pg_dump: server version: 10.1.5; pg_dump version: 9.6.6 pg_dump: aborting because of server version
Date
In response to Re: BUG #15308: pg_dump: server version: 10.1.5; pg_dump version: 9.6.6 pg_dump: aborting because of server version  (Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> writes:
> This is expected behavior: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/app-pgdump.html
>> pg_dump cannot dump from PostgreSQL servers newer than its own major version; it will refuse to even try, rather
thanrisk making an invalid dump

Right, you need a pg_dump at least as new as the server.

> PS: also we have no 10.1.5 version. This is probably any fork, not postgresql itself?

That is indeed very strange.  I thought for a moment that maybe the
pg_dump was too old to interpret our new two-part-version-number scheme
correctly.  But (a) 9.6.6 is not that old, and (b) AFAICS from a quick
look at the source code, what pg_dump is printing here is just the
verbatim contents of the server_version string received from the server.

Also (c), if someone did try to use a number like 10.1.5 as a version
number, they'd confuse the heck out of a lot of PG client code that
expects major version >= 10 to have only a two-part version number.

So I too would like to know where this server came from ...

            regards, tom lane