Re: Wanted: ALTER TRIGGER ... OWNED BY EXTENSION - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Wanted: ALTER TRIGGER ... OWNED BY EXTENSION
Date
List pgsql-general
> Moshe Jacobson wrote:
>> Even though I mark the trigger *functions *as owned by my extension, the
>> trigger definitions themselves are still dumped by pg_dump and restored by
>> pg_restore. This is a problem when pg_restore is using parallelism (-j),
>> and one thread starts issuing CREATE TRIGGER commands before the other
>> thread has finished populating the config table.

> ISTM that the usual locution for this is ALTER EXTENSION .. ADD.  You
> could test whether this is going to work by manually inserting rows in
> pg_depend.

> It seems strange to me that the created trigger is part of the extension,
> however.  Maybe it's the right fix, but hmm.

I'm suspicious that the problem is exactly lack of pg_depend records ---
pg_dump/pg_restore relies on those for correct ordering of parallel
operations.  What method are you using to create these triggers (not
the functions, the per-table pg_trigger records)?

            regards, tom lane