Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Oliver Elphick <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
>> Perhaps instead of "readability" I should have said "editability".
>> The thought that is lurking behind this is that you might want to
>> retarget a dump script to be reloaded in some other schema.  If the
>> dump is cluttered with umpteen thousand copies of the schema name
>> that's going to be difficult.

> sed -e 's/ old_schema\./ new_schema./g'=20

> I don't think you should allow the dump to be ambiguous for the sake of
> making rarely used actions slightly more convenient.

You have no fear that that "sed" will substitute some places it
shouldn't have?  Also, what makes you think this'll be a "rarely
used" feature?  I'd guess that people load dumps every day into
databases that have different names than the ones they dumped from.
Don't see why the same is not likely to be true at the schema level.

No, I'm not going to "allow the dump to be ambiguous".  But I'm hoping
for a solution that doesn't get in the way of retargeting, either.