Re: PL/Perl and Perl 5.8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PL/Perl and Perl 5.8
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane writes:
>> I'm guessing that what we need to do is -D_GNU_SOURCE somewhere in the
>> Makefiles; the $64 question is exactly where

> The simplest choice would be to just define it unconditionally in linux.h.
> Since it is not supposed to change any interfaces, just add new ones, this
> should be safe.

That works for me.  The main issue in my mind is not to define it on
platforms that aren't glibc-based, but linux.h should be safe.

Any objections out there?

I see another potential problem BTW: pg_config.h has

#ifndef HAVE_INET_ATON
# include <sys/types.h>
# include <netinet/in.h>
# include <arpa/inet.h>
extern int inet_aton(const char *cp, struct in_addr * addr);
#endif

which it does *before* pulling in the port-specific config file.
While this won't break Linux since it has inet_aton(), I could see
problems arising on platforms without.  I am inclined to move all
the substitute "extern" declarations in pg_config.h to the bottom
of the file.