Re: BUG #18057: unaccent removes intentional spaces - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #18057: unaccent removes intentional spaces
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> I was looking at the code, and my first impression was right.  All
> leading and trailing whitespaces between the two characters listed in
> the rule file are discarded.  The thing is that we clearly document
> the parsing rules for the sake of any custom files one can feed to the
> extension:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/unaccent.html

> I am not sure what we can do here.  Doing nothing is certainly an
> option, but I am wondering if we could put in place an extra rule
> where whitespaces can be part of the translated character if it uses
> double quotes, for example.  Thoughts?

Yeah, we could extend the parsing rules that way.  It would break
any rules files that currently use double quote as a plain character,
but it seems unlikely that there are any.  In any case, as long as
this wasn't back-patched I think such a change would be acceptable.

            regards, tom lane