Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [HACKERS] CTE inlining
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5/2/17 4:44 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 05/02/2017 10:13 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>> Doesn't really solve the issue, and we've generally shied away from GUCs
>>> that influence behaviour after a few bad experiences.  What if you want
>>> one CTE inlined, but another one not?
>> Yeah.  Are we absolutely opposed to SQL syntax against WITH that
>> allows or disallows fencing?   for example,
>>
>> WITH [MATERIALIZED]
>>
>> Pushing people to OFFSET 0 is a giant step backwards IMO, and as in
>> implementation detail is also subject to change.
>>

> Agreed, it's an ugly as sin and completely non-obvious hack.

Isn't OFFSET 0 an implementation detail anyway? Who says the planner
couldn't get smarter in the future, realize OFFSET 0 is no-op?

In that case replacing CTE optimization fence with "OFFSET 0" would be
akin to painting yourself into a corner, waiting for the pain to dry,
walking over to another corner and painting yourself into that one.

cheers