Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] 8k limit
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
"Ansley, Michael" <Michael.Ansley@intec.co.za> writes:
> The 8kB limit you are refering to is probably the tuple-length limit.  This
> can be altered to a maximum of 64kB (I think, might only be 32kB),

32k; otherwise Michael's comments are accurate.

>>> been discussed here before =). Next question is whats the
>>> max number of large
>>> objects you can store? I think its about 4 billion , am i wrong?

Each LO results in the creation of two files in your database directory,
which means performance will get pretty horrible when you get past a
few thousand LOs (at least on most flavors of Unix, which are not
optimized for huge directories).

There has been discussion of fixing this, eg by making a subdirectory
tree for LOs, but I'd rather see us put our effort into eliminating
the tuple length limit.
        regards, tom lane