Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies
Date
Re: Bogus collation version recording in recordMultipleDependencies  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2021-04-18 11:29:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not sure that an error in this direction is all that much more
>> problematic than the other direction.  If it's okay to claim that
>> indexes need to be rebuilt when they don't really, then we could just
>> drop this entire overcomplicated infrastructure and report that all
>> indexes need to be rebuilt after any collation version change.

> That doesn't ring true to me. There's a huge difference between needing
> to rebuild all indexes, especially primary key indexes which often are
> over int8 etc, and unnecessarily needing to rebuild indexes doing
> comparatively rare things.

It would not be that hard to exclude indexes on int8, or other cases
that clearly have zero collation dependencies.  And I think I might
have some faith in such a solution.  Right now I have zero faith
that the patch as it stands gives trustworthy answers.

I think that the real fundamental bug is supposing that static analysis
can give 100% correct answers.  Even if it did do so in a given state
of the database, consider this counterexample:

create type myrow as (f1 int, f2 int);
create table mytable (id bigint, r1 myrow, r2 myrow);
create index myindex on mytable(id) where r1 < r2;
alter type myrow add attribute f3 text;

myindex is recorded as having no collation dependency, but that is
now wrong.