Re: multi-install PostgresNode fails with older postgres versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Subject Re: multi-install PostgresNode fails with older postgres versions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:35:39 -0700
Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 19, 2021, at 10:25 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr@dalibo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 12:37:08 -0400
> > Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> >> I'll work on this. Meanwhile FTR here's my latest revision - it's a lot
> >> less invasive of the main module, so it seems much more palatable to me,
> >> and still passes my test down to 7.2.
> >
> > I spend a fair bit of time to wonder how useful it could be to either
> > maintain such a module in core, including for external needs, or creating a
> > separate external project with a different release/distribution/packaging
> > policy.
> >
> > Wherever the module is maintained, the goal would be to address broader
> > needs, eg. adding a switch_wal() method or wait_for_archive(), supporting
> > replication, backups, etc for multi-old-deprecated-PostgreSQL versions.
> >
> > To be honest I have mixed feelings. I feel this burden shouldn't be carried
> > by the core, which has restricted needs compared to external projects. In
> > the opposite, maintaining an external project which shares 90% of the code
> > seems to be a useless duplicate and backport effort. Moreover Craig Ringer
> > already opened the door for external use of PostgresNode with his effort to
> > install/package it, see:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGRY4nxxKSFJEgVAv5YAk%3DbqULtFmNw7gEJef0CCgzpNy6O%3D-w%40mail.gmail.com
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> The community needs a single shared PostgresNode implementation that can be
> used by scripts which reproduce bugs.

Which means it could be OK to have a PostgresNode implementation, leaving in
core source-tree, which supports broader needs than the core ones (older
versions and some more methods)? Did I understood correctly?

If this is correct, I suppose this effort could be committed early in v15 cycle?

Does it deserve some effort to build some dedicated TAP tests for these
modules? I already have a small patch for this waiting on my disk for some more
tests and review...

Regards