Re: the case for machine-readable error fields - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: the case for machine-readable error fields
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> If that's what we're trying to solve, I don't think that adding some
> kind of proprietary shorthand coding is a good idea.  If we're do to
> this at all, it should be a connection-based GUC option, and use some
> standard formal like XML fragments.

Huh?  What he was talking about is providing additional error fields,
which would presumably be made available via PQresultErrorField in
libpq, or its kin in other interfaces, and would be totally invisible to
any client that didn't ask for them.  I can't imagine any value-add
from introducing XML into the problem.