Re: mixed, named notation support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: mixed, named notation support
Date
List pgsql-hackers

--On 4. August 2009 20:22:05 +0200 Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Named notation has different algorithm for function detection then
> positional notation. There are not exist variadic parameters (because
> these parameters hasn't individual names). So only "packed" variadic
> parameter should be there, and this parameter have to be named  - so
> keyword VARIADIC is optional.

I wonder wether it wouldn't better to force positional notation for such
functions then. I found it surprising that this works at all, but of
course, someone else might enjoy this as a cool feature. To me, it feels
strange and confusing that a function declared as VARIADIC suddenly accepts
a "sloppy" argument only because you are using some other calling notation
where others enforces you to use an additional keyword to match the
function.

At least, we need to document that both notations behaves different in this
case.

--
Thanks
Bernd