Re: Issues with building snap packages and psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Issues with building snap packages and psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/26/2016 11:33 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> After some further investigation and collaboration with #postgresql it looks
>> like what we have here is an actual bug or at least improper implementation.
>> Apparently, we use getpwuid on the euid to locate the 'home directory'. This
>> is incorrect (as well as inconsistent to our own documentation) [1]. Our
>> documentation says that dotfiles are ~/.whatever, and ~ on its own in shell
>> means the value of $HOME, it does NOT mean the current user's homedir from
>> getpwuid.
>>

>> It is also inconsistent with how other programs behave. For example if psql
>> uses readline, and you change the value of $HOME, then readline uses
>> $HOME/.inputrc whereas psql does not use $HOME/.psqlrc.
>
> Sounds like the same issue that Rudolf Gavlas complained about in
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEH6cQqbdbXoUHJBbX9ixwfjFFsUC-a8hFntKcci=diWgBb3fQ@mail.gmail.com

It does sound similar, unfortunately the limited response doesn't seem
to address the issue in that we are doing it in a way that nobody (or at
least commonly) else does.

To me this sounds strikingly familiar to how we ignored how everyone
else handled commenting out parameters vs how we thought we were right
until we finally decided everyone else was already correct and changed
it. (metaphorically speaking)

That said, I am not interested in a philosophical argument. It appears
to me that based on the referenced PDF that we are wrong. How do we fix
it? What are the implications of that? I just want to solve the problem.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.