Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_hba_file_settings view patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Haribabu Kommi wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I agree that adding these JSONB utility functions for this view
>> is an overkill, but I thought that these are may be useful for some
>> users if it is a JSONB type instead of array.
>
> Peter Eisentraut said he'd like JSON better:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5547DB0A.2020904@gmx.net
> I asked twice about the use of JSON, suggesting an array instead:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20151204163147.GZ2763@alvherre.pgsql
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160201215714.GA98800@alvherre.pgsql
>
> I now think that we should figure out what it is that we want before we
> continue to request it to be changed over and over.

That sounds like a good idea.  :-)

FWIW, I'm -1 on using JSON here.  I don't believe that we should start
using JSON all over the place just because we can.  If we do that,
we'll end up with a mishmash of styles, and maybe look silly when JSON
is replaced by the new and much better SDGJHSDR format.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company