Re: Would it be possible to have parallel archiving? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: Would it be possible to have parallel archiving?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> 28 авг. 2018 г., в 17:41, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> написал(а):
>
> Pushing files which are indicated by archive status as being ready is
> absolutely an entirely different thing from whacking around the status
> files themselves which PG is managing itself.
I disagree.
Returning archive_command exit code as a result of prior reading archive_status is not safe.
"absolutely an entirely different thing" is a speculation just like "jumping out of 5th floor is safer than jumping out
10th".If archive is not to be monitored properly - do not whack with archive_status at all. pgBackRest is no safer that
WAL-Gin this aspect. They are prone to the same conditions, changing behavior of archive_status will affect them both.
I'm aware of the issue and monitor PG changes in this aspect. I do not pretend that there cannot be any problem at all
andthis method will stay safe forever. But now it is.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.