Re: Recently-introduced segfault in initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Recently-introduced segfault in initdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Isaac Morland <isaac.morland@gmail.com> writes:
> Thank you, and sorry everybody for the noise. Yes, I just did a "make
> distclean" and then the build worked.

Yeah, this is something most of us have learned the hard way over
time ;-).  Either use --enable-depend, or religiously do "make
distclean" before any git pull, git bisect, etc.  I prefer the
latter because it avoids leaving junk files laying around, such
as .o files that should exist in one version but not another;
but if you're less annoyed by that sort of thing than I am,
--enable-depend is a good alternative.

In any case, using ccache is recommendable if your platform doesn't
already set you up to use that automatically.  Also, if you choose
the "make distclean" approach, you're going to be re-running
configure a lot, so it's good to use --cache-file with that.
These together with "make -j" will get the rebuild time down to
maybe 15 seconds on modern hardware.