Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: It's June 1; do you know where your release is?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Let me start this out by voting the things I think we can drop until 8.5:

> * gettext plurals patch needs some polishing
> -- revert patch, save for 8.5

Peter might think differently about that ;-).  My problem with it is
that we don't seem to have a polished API for how code uses the feature.
I wouldn't mind so much except that once we release we are going to be
stuck with the API indefinitely --- the usage will propagate into
third-party code very quickly and we won't want to break that code by
changing it.

Personally I'd prefer to fix it rather than revert it.

> #  adjust information_schema precision and scale fields?
> -- save for 8.5

No objection here.  I mainly wanted to make sure the issue doesn't get
forgotten.

> # instrument the Windows shared memory reattachment problem?
> -- as much as I'd like to do this, the solution could be as bad as the
> problem; we'd need more testing time for new instrumentation.  Will have
> to deal with via testing patched versions.

Yeah.  That was put on the list a month ago, when there was still plenty
of time to do something about it; but since we missed getting it into
beta2 I think it will have to wait.

> # tweak the ordering heuristics for parallel pg_restore?
> -- beta2 version is "good enough"; further improvements should be saved
> for 8.5.

OK, particularly if no one is in a position to test it right away.