Re: PostGres Text Search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostGres Text Search
Date
List pgsql-general
<chrisr@hawaii.rr.com> writes:
> For instance if I have the abbreviation "HLA", I would want it to be hit for a search on any of the terms "high",
"level",or "architecture" or any combination thereof.  Now from the documentation they have a sample synonym dictionary
filethat contains something like:

> postgres pg
> postgresql pg
> postgre pg

> and this will return 'pg' as the lexeme for any of those terms, however, what I want to do is go the other way, and
haveone term return hits for several terms, but I'm not sure If i can make this work with a synonym dictionary or not.

Synonym translates one word to one other word, so it won't help you
here.  You could use the contrib/dict_xsyn module, which does exactly
what you suggest.  Or if you want to stick to features that are in core,
the thesaurus dictionary would do, though it seems to be a bit more
complicated to set up.

            regards, tom lane