PostGres Text Search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject PostGres Text Search
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have been trying to configure the 8.3 text search capabilities using the documentation from the site from section 12
of8.3 documentation.  I understand the basics but I am trying to set up a custom synonym dictionary so that I could
haveabbreviations be returned as a hit for searches on words that are part of the abbreviation.

For instance if I have the abbreviation "HLA", I would want it to be hit for a search on any of the terms "high",
"level",or "architecture" or any combination thereof.  Now from the documentation they have a sample synonym dictionary
filethat contains something like:

postgres pg
postgresql pg
postgre pg

and this will return 'pg' as the lexeme for any of those terms, however, what I want to do is go the other way, and
haveone term return hits for several terms, but I'm not sure If i can make this work with a synonym dictionary or not.

Should I  be attempting this with a synonym dictionary or not, and if not, what approach should i use to accomplish
this? I have read through the documentation several times and attempted all the samples, but I may have missed an
exampleof this or have failed to make the connection on how to accomplish this, so if it is merely a matter of my
missingthe proper reference, a pointer to that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Chris