Re: Installation of Postgres 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Installation of Postgres 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:57:03AM +0800, Jonathan Chocolate wrote:
>> I am unable to install postgres 7.1.2 on my Ubuntu Linux Box.

> Dear gods, that's an ancient version. You're not going to get a lot of
> help fixing something that old, nearly 6 major releases ago.
> In any case, you're definitly not going to get any help if you don't
> provide any actual error messages.

I recall having to add some #include directives to get 7.1 to compile on
newer versions of Linux, and a troll through our CVS logs also finds
things like this:

    * src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/preproc.y (REL7_1_STABLE): Remove
    stray semicolons in old ecpg preproc grammar ... modern bison
    versions won't compile it at all with those there.  Probably of
    only academic interest now, but ...

You could no doubt get 7.1 to compile on modern tools with a bit of
work, but I think your time would be far more productively spent on
updating to a modern version of Postgres, instead.

            regards, tom lane