Re: Cannot insert dup id in pk - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cannot insert dup id in pk
Date
List pgsql-sql
Scott Cain <cain@cshl.org> writes:
> Note that I do not try to insert anything into fid, the primary key on
> this table.  Why does Postgres think I am?

But you *are* trying to insert something into fid, namely the default
value:default nextval('public.fdata _fid_seq'::text)

My guess is that you have been inconsistent about whether you used the
sequence or explicit assignment to fid, and now you have some rows in
the table that have fid values higher than the current sequence value.

I'd suggest adjusting the sequence, along the lines of
SELECT setval('public.fdata _fid_seq', max(fid)+1) FROM fdata;
        regards, tom lane