Re: summing tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Viorel Dragomir
Subject Re: summing tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Indeed it was a mistake not to put the table_name. in where clause.
But this doesn't resolve the problem.

Do you know in which order the update will modify the rows?
My lucky guess is that it takes from last inserted rows to the first row. In
this way only one row gets updated correctly.

I add the result from my unfortunate solution, even corrected.

select * from table_name;seq | a | b | c
-----+---+---+---  1 | 1 | 2 | 3  2 | 5 | 9 |  3 | 1 | 2 |  4 | 4 | 7 |  5 | 4 | 2 |  6 | 0 | 1 |
(6 rows)

update table_nameset c = a + b + (select c from table_name as x where seq =
table_name.seq-1)where c is null;

select * from table_name;seq | a | b | c
-----+---+---+----  1 | 1 | 2 |  3  2 | 5 | 9 | 17  3 | 1 | 2 |  4 | 4 | 7 |  5 | 4 | 2 |  6 | 0 | 1 |