Re: Parser - Query Analyser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Parser - Query Analyser
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 17, 2012, at 9:18, Michael Giannakopoulos <miccagiann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> My name is Michail Giannakopoulos and I am a graduate student at University of Toronto. I have no previous experience
indeveloping a system like postgreSQL before.

> What I am trying to explore is if it is possible to extend postgreSQL in order to accept queries of the form:
>
> Select function(att1, att2, att3) AS output(out1, out2, ..., outk) FROM [database_name];

Anything is possible but what you are trying to do makes little sense generally and would take a tremendous amount of
workto be done in PostgreSQL.  The two main limitations are that you are creating a entirely new query language format
andthat the name of the database is constant and determined at the time of connection to the database.

From a practical perspective I do not believe it (as written exactly above) can done without breaking existing
functionalityand/or introducing ambiguities.

As I am not a PostgreSQL developer myself I cannot be of much more help but ISTM that providing more why and less what
wouldget you better advice.  As to learning how to contribute to the project I will let others point you to the
existingresources that are out there.  It would, however, probably help to explain what skills and background you
alreadyposses.

David J.