Re: index "pg_authid_rolname_index" is not a btree - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: index "pg_authid_rolname_index" is not a btree
Date
List pgsql-general
"Andrus Moor" <kobruleht2@hot.ee> writes:
> Alvaro,
>> You can get around that particular problem by reindexing the pg_authid
>> table.  But my guess is that you'll find that there's corruption
>> elsewhere that's not so easily recoverable ...

> Thank you.
> reindexing system tables and whole database succeeds.
> After that I can connect to database containing data to recover.

> However pg_dump fails:

> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  could not identify an ordering
> operator for type name

Alvaro was right --- you've got damage in the system catalogs, not just
their indexes.  This looks like missing entries in pg_amop.  (You did
say you reindexed all the system catalogs, right?  If not it's possible
this is only index damage, but I'm not very hopeful.)

I suspect that if you did get to the point of being able to run pg_dump
without error, you'd find just as much damage to the user data.  I'm
afraid this database is toast and you should write it off as a learning
experience.  Hardware fails, you need backups.

            regards, tom lane