Re: pgsql: libpq: change PQconndefaults() to ignore invalid service files - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: libpq: change PQconndefaults() to ignore invalid service files
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On Tue, Dec  3, 2013 at 11:30:15AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Why does this patch remove the errorMessage argument from
>> pg_fe_getauthname?  I gauge the amount of thought that went into
>> that choice by the fact that the comment wasn't updated.

> Oh, the argument was not used, so I remove it.  C comment updated.
> Thanks.

My point was that I didn't think you'd thought about error handling.

In particular, it appears to me that if the strdup in pg_fe_getauthname
fails, we'll just let that pass without comment, which is inconsistent
with all the other out-of-memory cases in conninfo_add_defaults.
(I wonder whether any code downstream of this supposes that we always
have a value for the "user" option.  It's a pretty safe bet that the
case is hardly ever tested.)

More generally, why is it that we'd want to eliminate any prospect
of reporting other errors in pg_fe_getauthname?  Is it such a great
idea that we're ignoring failure returns from pqGetpwuid/GetUserName?

            regards, tom lane