Re: Update minimum SSL version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Update minimum SSL version
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:30:47AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What's the impact going to be on buildfarm members with older openssl
>> installations?  Perhaps "none", if they aren't running the ssl test
>> suite, but we should be clear about it.

> Actually, no, what I am writing here is incorrect.  We should make
> sure of that the default configuration is correct at initdb time, and
> the patch does not do that.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was getting at, but not quite.  On newer
openssl versions, this doesn't seem like it's really changing anything
at all --- AFAIK, the client and server will already negotiate the
highest jointly-supported TLS version.  OTOH, with an openssl version
old enough to not understand TLS >= 1.2, this change likewise won't do
anything, except break configurations that used to work (for some
not-too-secure value of "work").

I think the real question we have to answer is this: are we intent on
making people upgrade ancient openssl installations?  If so, shouldn't
we be doing something even more aggressive than this?  If not, wouldn't
the patch need to try to autoconfigure the minimum TLS version?  As
proposed, the patch seems to be somewhere in a passive-aggressive middle
ground of being annoying without really enforcing anything.  So I don't
quite see the point.