Re: Migrating 7.1.3 to 7.3.4 problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: Migrating 7.1.3 to 7.3.4 problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I should think there will be no other way but to follow this procedure:

Backup your /var/lib/pgsql directory
Reinstall 7.1.3 (either rpm oder install from source)
Copy your backed up /var/lib/pgsql_bak directory into the new
/var/lib/pgsql directory created during installation
Fire up the postmaster
Dump everything
Shutdown postmaster
Move /var/lib/psql and /opt/pgsql (or whereever your PostgreSQL-binaries
reside) out of the way
Install 7.3.4 (why not 7.4.1?) from source or rpm
Fire up the postmaster
Restore your dumps.

I don't think there's a way to directly import your old 7.1.x
database-directory into a more recent major release PostgreSQL
installation.

Kind regards

    Markus