Re: Unexpected VACUUM FULL failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Unexpected VACUUM FULL failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Incidentally, every time it comes up we recommend using CLUSTER or ALTER
> TABLE. And explaining the syntax for ALTER TABLE is always a bit fiddly. I
> wonder if it would make sense to add a "VACUUM REWRITE" which just did the
> same as the noop ALTER TABLE we're recommending people do anyways. Then we
> could have a HINT from VACUUM FULL which suggests considering VACUUM REWRITE.

Not that syntax, please :-(.  The trouble with VACUUM [adjective] is
that "adjective" has to become a fully reserved keyword, else the parser
can't tell it from a table name.  This is all right for FULL because
that's a reserved word anyway due to the outer join syntax, but I really
don't want to do it for any words that aren't otherwise reserved.