Re: Wrote a connect-by feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Wrote a connect-by feature
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>> Wouldn't the release be a good opportunity for providing
>> this little tool?

> It would be, except that we are past feature freeze thus if it is good
> and we can use it, it will have to wait for 8.4.

We are *very* far past feature freeze.  I'd love to be doing some new
coding myself, but if we don't keep our eyes on the goal we might never
get 8.3 shipped at all.

As for whether we could accept this for 8.4, I thought the general
consensus was that we should implement the SQL-spec WITH syntax.
The only good reason for supporting CONNECT BY would be to be
Oracle-compatible, which this patch isn't.  (Being Oracle-compatible
isn't necessarily good anyway; are we sure they don't have a patent
on their way of doing this?)

Various people have looked at supporting WITH in the past; IIRC Greg
Stark has been the most recent contender.  I'd suggest joining forces
with him if you'd like to make this happen.