Re: Arrays in PL/pgSQL routines? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Arrays in PL/pgSQL routines?
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Ken Winter" <ken@sunward.org> writes:
> That works.  (Odd that the initialization seems to be necessary to make it
> work.)  Thanks!  Yes, I'm using version 7.4.

Possibly what you're running into is that 7.4 is restrictive about what
you can do with an array that's NULL.  Until pretty recently, assigning
to an element of a NULL array left the array still NULL --- this is an
artifact of the fact that the system sees the assignment as a binary
operation with the array and the new element as inputs.
        regards, tom lane