Re: [HACKERS] Fix for large file support (nonsegment mode support) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Fix for large file support (nonsegment mode support)
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Fix for large file support (nonsegment mode support)  ("Zeugswetter Andreas OSB SD" <Andreas.Zeugswetter@s-itsolutions.at>)
Re: [HACKERS] Fix for large file support (nonsegment mode support)  (Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>)
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Applied with minor corrections.

> Why is this not the default when supported?

Fear.

Maybe eventually, but right now I think it's too risky.

One point that I already found out the hard way is that sizeof(off_t) = 8
does not guarantee the availability of largefile support; there can also
be filesystem-level constraints, and perhaps other things we know not of
at this point.

I think this needs to be treated as experimental until it's got a few
more than zero miles under its belt.  I wouldn't be too surprised to
find that we have to implement it as a run-time switch instead of
compile-time, in order to not fail miserably when somebody sticks a
tablespace on an archaic filesystem.

            regards, tom lane