Re: Various bugs with PG7.1 8th March snapshot on Solaris 8 INTEL - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Various bugs with PG7.1 8th March snapshot on Solaris 8 INTEL
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane writes:
>> Interesting theory, but if LIBS is broken then wouldn't the backend fail
>> to run at all?  How'd they manage to pass the other regress tests?

> Presumably the backend would print an error message along the lines of
> "cannot find shared library libxyz.so" and the user would take appropriate
> configuration steps.  However, this doesn't really help when running
> configure because no user actually reads every 'checking...' line and
> tries to challenge the result by examining config.log.

Oh, I see: you posit that the user fixed the shlib configuration problem
after discovering the backend wouldn't run, but did not then go back and
re-run configure.  Yes, that makes sense.  Justin, are the INT64 flags
in your config.h wrong?

> Yet another reason to avoid AC_TRY_RUN.

The tests that we have to see whether 64-bit arithmetic actually works
are probably just unnecessary paranoia.  However, the tests to see
whether snprintf does the right thing, and with what format flags,
still seem necessary; and I see no way to handle those without a runtime
check.

Maybe the AC_TRY_RUN tests could be moved up to before we start probing
for libraries?

            regards, tom lane