Re: PQescapeBytea on Win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQescapeBytea on Win32
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Do we really want "PQfreemem" either?  Maybe it should be "PQfree"?

> I am a little concerned that PQfree would be confused with PQclear.

Good point --- nevermind that suggestion.

> Could we have PQfreeNotify() be a macro to PQfreemem in 7.4?

I'd like to do that but I doubt we can get away with it; it'd be
an incompatible change at the binary API level, forcing a major
version bump on libpq.so.  (On the other hand, we might wind up
doing one anyway; not sure.)

You could do it the other way: PQfreemem a macro for PQfreeNotify.
That would stay binary-compatible with existing clients.  We could
switch which one is a macro at the next occasion for a major
version bump on the shlib, and then eventually remove PQfreeNotify
when we feel it's been deprecated for long enough.