Re: Multiple foreign keys with the same name and information_schema - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Multiple foreign keys with the same name and information_schema
Date
List pgsql-general
Jonathan Tapicer <tapicer@gmail.com> writes:
> I was a able to do it using the pg_catalog tables, but I haven't found
> a way to do it using information_schema since it relies on foreign
> keys names being unique in the same catalog. Is this a known
> limitation?

Actually, the information_schema supposes that constraint names are
unique within a *schema*, not within a *catalog* (a/k/a database).
Don't know if that distinction can help you or not.  You are correct
that Postgres is less rigid.  We do not consider that to be a deficiency
on the Postgres side ;-)

If you want to use the information_schema to deal with this stuff, the
answer is to make sure that your application follows the SQL-standard
rule of not duplicating constraint names within a schema.

            regards, tom lane