Re: Templates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Templates
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>> Not exactly.  We do need to be able to decide whether we are using
>> gcc or vendor cc in order to pick the right switches.

> I'll rephrase that: The name of the compiler needs to disappear from the
> template file. We'd still have a separate file for GCC vs vendor with the
> different CFLAGS, etc., but we wouldn't force CC= something.

Agreed.

>> One possible way of doing that is to merge the "cc" and "gcc"
>> templates and have if-tests in the templates instead.  For example the
>> hpux template might look like

> Or that, but I'm not sure if that enhances readibility.

If you're doing the legwork I guess you get to choose ;-) ... but I like
the idea of combining the gcc and vendor-cc templates for a platform.
Usually there's a great deal of commonality, so having two templates
just means two files to edit (or forget to edit).