Re: Templates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Templates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > So the compiler information must disappear from the template files.
>
> Not exactly.  We do need to be able to decide whether we are using
> gcc or vendor cc in order to pick the right switches.

I'll rephrase that: The name of the compiler needs to disappear from the
template file. We'd still have a separate file for GCC vs vendor with the
different CFLAGS, etc., but we wouldn't force CC= something.

> One possible way of doing that is to merge the "cc" and "gcc"
> templates and have if-tests in the templates instead.  For example the
> hpux template might look like

Or that, but I'm not sure if that enhances readibility.

> That last line brings up an issue that you'll have to deal with before
> you can convince me that vanilla autoconf is the only solution we need:
> how do you force the thing to use compatible C++ and C compilers?

We use the libtool multi-language branch. :-)  Btw., libtool will need
config.guess either way. Not this release though...