Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)
Date: ,
Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Bruno Wolff III)
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Pailloncy Jean-Gerard, )
 Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Pailloncy Jean-Gerard, )
   Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Pailloncy Jean-Gerard, )
    Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Josh Berkus, )
     Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Tom Lane, )
      Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Josh Berkus, )
       Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Tom Lane, )
      Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Bruno Wolff III, )
       Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Pailloncy Jean-Gerard, )
  Re: Error in VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE (not enough memory)  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Memory leak tsearch2 VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE  (Pailloncy Jean-Gerard, )
    Re: Memory leak tsearch2 VACUUM FULL VERBOSE ANALYZE  (Tom Lane, )

Josh Berkus <> writes:
> Jean-Gerard,
>> When backend hits the tsearch2 index, SIZE/RES grows until it reachs
>> 1GB, where I got the error.
>> PID    UID   PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE WAIT     TIME    CPU COMMAND
>> 20461    503    -5    0  765M  824M sleep biowai   4:26 33.20% postgres

> OK, next thing to try is upgrading to 7.4.7.   Since you have 7.4.2, this
> should be a straightforward binary replacement.

This looks like it must be a memory leak in the gist indexing code
(either gist itself or tsearch2).  I don't see any post-release fixes in
the 7.4 branch that look like they fixed any such thing :-(, so it's
probably still there in 7.4.7, and likely 8.0 too.

Jean-Gerard, can you put together a self-contained test case?  I suspect
it need only look like "put some data in a table, make a tsearch2 index,
delete half the rows in the table, VACUUM FULL".  But I don't have time
to try to cons up a test case right now, and especially not to figure
out what to do to duplicate your problem if it doesn't happen on the
first try.

            regards, tom lane