Re: pg_restore problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bradley Miller
Subject Re: pg_restore problem
Date
List pgsql-sql
So in the current version I'm running (7.4.6) and I do a pg_dump I have
to then manually manipulate the order by doing a -l to get a table of
contents and then reorder (just changing the first number; or the oid
also??) just to get it to work right?   Does anyone else have these
issues?  How exactly can I use this on a mission critical app with
flaws like this?   How do other people work with this?  Do they just
not dump the files and restore?

On Feb 2, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Bradley Miller <bmiller@nuvio.com> writes:
>> I'm attempting to restore a dump from one server to another (one is a
>> Mac and one is a Linux base, if that makes any difference).  I keep
>> running into issues like this:
>
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  function
>> public.random_page_link_id_gen() does not exist
>
> Is this a problem of items in the dump being in the wrong order (ie,
> there's a forward reference to random_page_link_id_gen())?
>
>> Any suggestions on how to get around this problem?
>
> Use 8.0 ... or use pg_restore's -L/-l options to manually adjust the
> load order.  Pre-8.0 versions of pg_dump are easily fooled if you use
> ALTER to make earlier-created objects reference later-created objects.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Bradley Miller
NUVIO CORPORATION
Phone: 816-444-4422 ext. 6757