AW: [HACKERS] create index updates nrows statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5
Subject AW: [HACKERS] create index updates nrows statistics
Date
Re: AW: [HACKERS] create index updates nrows statistics  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > a create index updates the statistics in pg_class,
> > this leads to substantial performance degradation compared to
> > 6.4.2.
>
> Create index did that in 6.4.2 as well --- how could it be making
> performance worse?

I am not sure why, but in 6.4.2 a create table, create index, insert,
select * from tab where indexedcol=5 did actually use the index path,
even if table reltuples and relpages was 0.
It currently uses a seq scan, which is exactly what we wanted to avoid
in the newly created table case, but do want on an actually small table.

Please apply the patch I previously sent.

Andreas