Re: [HACKERS] strange behavior of UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5
Subject Re: [HACKERS] strange behavior of UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> - update bench set k500k = k500k + 1 where k100 = 30
>     with    indeces  unknown
>    without indeces 36 seconds

can you run an: explain update bench set k500k = k500k + 1 where k100 = 30;

> Still the poor update routines do not explain the
> strange behavior, that the postmaster runs for
> hours using at most 10% CPU, and all the time
> heavy disk activity is observed.

I suspect it is doing a seq scan. Thus explaining the heavy disk activity.
I have previously sent in a patch which will fix this if someone applies it.

Andreas