Re: Feature Matrix - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: Feature Matrix
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 7/20/07, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
Mike Ellsworth wrote:
> Borrowing from the current "What's New" thread, I think this link:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix
> <http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Feature_Matrix>
>
> is a good, quick read.  As a combination web/advocacy issue -may not be
> a bad idea (assuming it is current) to have it as an additional link
> under 'Shortcuts' with the label of "Coming Soon".

well that one I(as the one who created most of it) still consider an
experiment and I'm not really happy with the presentation yet so I think
its too soon (and maybe the developerwiki is also the wrong thing to
place that kind of stuff) to make it a more official resource.
Things I would want to get feedback on before are at least:

*) how to represent stuff that are improvements to existing
functionality (like lower memory usage for a range of operations or
faster joins or better plan selection for some scenarios)

*) what about the representation itself - I don't think the list as it
is is meaningful at all to the "mere mortal". I guess some of the items
would need a sentence or two to explain them.

*) should this really be some sort of official material at all
(considering we already have proper changelogs and releasenotes)

*) crosslinking with the manual ?

*) proofreading is required

+) what considers "noteworthy" new stuff and what not ?

Stefan

You're being to hard on yourself. :-)  Simple can be good, especially given the vast amount of content that is already on the site, docs, etc. You could always reference changelogs, docs, down the road.
For now, building towards 8.3, I think it is excellent as is (after proofreading) .... particularly for new visitors to the site.