RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l)
Date
Re: RPM source files should be in CVS (was Re: psql -l)  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2001 18:03, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> The strange part is that we are running around trying to figure out if
>> it is a bug and no one knows that Debian has modified it.

> While I understand Oliver's reasons for having the Debian stuff on the
> debian server, I believe it would be appropriate to have the patchfile
> and the various Debian README's available on the main postgresql site.

ISTM that it'd be a good thing if current versions of all the add-on
source files for both Debian and RedHat RPMs were part of our CVS tree
(perhaps in /contrib, perhaps somewhere else, but anyway in the tree).
Had I been able to find that "No database specified" string by grepping
the sources, I'd have been much less mystified.  Likewise for the "peer"
question a week or two back, and the questions we sometimes get about
the behavior of startup scripts that aren't even part of our tarball.

This sort of thing is going to keep coming up, so we might as well admit
that we need to know what is in the RPMs.

Oliver, Lamar, what say you?

            regards, tom lane